As you've probably heard, UBS is all but set to leave our fair city. They claim it's because they can't hire their most desirable employees, who want to work in Manhattan or Brooklyn, but I suspect it's due to a lack of cheese shops and bakeries. Either way, come 2015, there's going to be a giant, empty (though nice-looking) building here in the CTW (yes, another one).
Since I like to plan ahead, I thought I'd start brainstorming on possible uses for the UBS building and its gigantic trading floor:
- Move that Chelsea Piers complex from Cove Road to downtown (or build a second location). It's already got a ton of parking, plus a few people might actually walk there.
- Turn the trading floor into the world's largest German-style beer hall!! It would be epic. It could also serve as the starting point for Stamford's very own Von Steuben Day Parade! Pretzels for everybody!
- Move all the businesses currently in Harbor Plaza into the UBS building and then demolish the entire poorly-conceived Harbor Plaza complex so the nice people who live near there can enjoy the water again. Why did they put office buildings in a residential area??
- A life-sized, playable version of the classic board game Mouse Trap!
- And finally, here's an idea that would be awesome: turn it into an arena for sports and concerts! They could lure the Sound Tigers down the highway from Bridgeport, where they're currently struggling to fill seats, plus we'd get to see great acts like Celine Dion, Michael Bolton and NKOTBSB!
Well, what do you think should be done with the big 'ol UBS building?